Saturday, July 1, 2017

Summer-Fall 2017 Movie Preview - Part 2


If the summer was so & so (and more so...) for what's released, this fall is one of the strongest in the latest years. So let's see what's bringing...

September comes with "American Assassin". All I hope for is that the trailer doesn't give the whole story - maybe is a bit more than a radicalized revenge, and well... the usual: hoping also for less cliche... If it manages these, looks like a good thriller.

Let's keep the prefix, let's keep the genre, but let's change a bit the feeling towards something more lighthearted in "American Made". Where I think I trust a bit more the outcome.

And to give this month completely to this niche, we end it with "The Foreigner", a book adaptation with a subject sort of similar with the first above, but a bit different as context - a Chinese vs. IRA. I think I prefer this version... less sensitive, and more... :) exotic. Besides that, if you didn't see Jackie Chan outside comedy roles, you should - it's worth it ;)...

In October we have the title of the Fall - "Blade Runner 2049". I don't think there's need for much more intro, besides maybe that we have Denis Villeneuve on directing ("Incendies", "Prisoners", "Enemy", "Sicario"), who I guess was a better choice Ridley Scott based on what I've seen in the latest years...

Missing disaster movies? "Geostorm" is the first cinema entry where Dean Devlin tries directing. Who is Dean Devlin? - Roland Emmerich's half on the production of almost all stuff that guy released in his beginnings, until he got infected with the Michael Bay syndrome (= more explosions => more cash flow): Stargate" (the movie), "Independence Day", "Godzilla", "The Patriot". Well, now Emmerich is not involved, but still I'm not sure I trust this even so...

"Happy Death Day" is the horror version of "Groundhog Day". I have to admit that the idea is not totally unoriginal. Beside, Christopher Landon (director/writer) also wrote "Disturbia". Well... he also wrote a bunch of sequels for "Paranormal Activity", but "Disturbia" was nice ;) - and here as well as there (check "Rear Window") we have some sort of adapted source, so...

"Wonder Woman" was a bit disappointing despite the favorable critics, and also I think one of the most "Marvel movies" in the DC Comics portfolio. Even so, I still have some hope that "Justice League" will stick to the less dumb action/more solid story ratio, which was a bit better for DC. Anyway, I think Zack Snyder directing, with all the flaws he previously had, is at a different level than Patty Jenkins.

That's it... for now ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment