Monday, July 3, 2017

Bady Driver (2017)



Remember "Matrix" and the trend it started for sunglasses? Well, I can't say for sure that "Baby Driver" will succeed in doing the same, but in 20 years, I think it's the closest I've seen having a chance in that.

Baby is a young guy in his early 20's who has a debt to pay to a local mobster, and he's doing that working as a driver for organized heists. And he's almost close in getting even with it. But, that's not a job to get out whenever you might want to... Let's give the movie a chance to tell you more on that.

If you've seen the series starring Simon Pegg - "Shaun of the Dead", "Hot Fuzz" and "World's End", then you pretty much know what to expect, because all the three had Edgar Wright as both screenwriter and most important as director. More, if you've seen "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" it should be 100% clear. The style is here. You can't miss it. As a small warning though, the comedy is there, but is not exactly the main genre here. Or more precisely, you might experience some confusing moment in which you might not be so sure what you're watching, because the comedy alternates with drama at the most serious level. You could consider that as a minus, subjectively speaking - because as in "Scott Pilgrim" and "World's End", the was maybe a bit too chaotic for me, switching the genre a bit too often for my tired brain.

Quite a while ago I've seen somewhere an analysis of the comic style in movies and I remember a part where an average Hollywood comedy = strictly based on lines was discussed for possible ways of context enhancement. The examples were almost all taken from Edgar Wright's filmography, not that rich at the time. What I want to say is that, I rarely have the opportunity to watch a movie so well put together in respect to directing. Maybe Guy Ritchie or Tarantino reach the level I've seen here - keeping the discussion around this genre. If I refer only to the soundtrack and the way this is mixed with the action it's already enough, but there's also the movement in the scenes and other stuff. Too much to write :)...

Rating: 4 out of 5 ( just being subjectively picky = was a bit too violent and chaotic for my taste ;) )

No comments:

Post a Comment