Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Zero Theorem (2013)



I wanted to skip over "The Zero Theorem". Having enough experience with Terry Gilliam from movies that left a deep touch somewhere like "12 Monkeys" or "Dr. Parnassus", up to totally unfortunate experiences as "Tideland" or "Brothers Grimm", I was convinced I'm able to smell the corner where a new release fits. Missed though that I didn't actually have any title by Gilliam to place somewhere in between. Until now ...

Call me lazy. I don't have the necessary mood and I also doubt it will help more than the trailer to talk about the subject of "The Zero Theorem". From my vague memories, would be probably close to talking about the subject of "Brazil". Sure, you can do it. But, what's the use ? As there, here, and in many other of Gilliam's movies, the picture relies on the personal take of each viewer. And the range of interpretation is very diverse. Actually, to offer such a diversity of possible ways to perceive a movie that keeps relatively coherent action threads it's really something. Doesn't always work (e.g., "Tideland"). Here it did.

Call me lazy, again. I won't start now with my own interpretation of this. I'll just limit to some general appreciations. The movie starts well. Again, is probably the most close picture to "Brazil", since "Brazil", but without reaching the same high (saying this in the context where I don't remember much of "Brazil"). Unfortunately it ends too rushed. Around three quarters is like getting it fed to an accelerated compression algorithm, giving the impression that all the action threads are suddenly cut. Maybe it's intended, for excluding quickly all the characters, and leaving the main one in eternal solitude. I don't know. Anyway, it seemed forced and artificial.

It's most probably the type of movie to see when you're n a very specific mood. And also a movie that definitely won't appeal to everybody. It did in my case. Not that well to get it at the same level of impact as "12 Monkeys". But enough that subjectively to have a higher appreciation degree than it probably deserves :) (and it's not because is a production made in Ro). Maybe it's because life is a chaos & the challenge to control it is somehow addictive despite you knowing it will never really work ... maybe because I need a Bainsley in my life ;) ... maybe others ...

Rating: 4 out of 5





No comments:

Post a Comment