Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Summer-Fall 2013 Movie Preview - Part 2


The Fall (or better said September, since you don't really know when a season starts end ends) begins with "Riddick". Obviously I couldn't have stopped at anything else than a SciFi :) Sequel to a very well done "Pitch Black" (although as marketing as obscure as the title) and a much worse "Chronicles of Riddick" (overall level inverse proportionally to the budget). The traile for this one doesn't seem very encouraging but we'll see what we'll get from episode 3.





Since we're on sequels, call this a guilty pleasure, but I won't jump over "Machete Kills". The first part was superb in regard to the satire towards action movies. And since the second seems to follow the same trend ...





Getting into a more serious zone, towards the end of September we have a biopic. "Rush" is centered on one of the most, let's call it "terrible" stories from the Formula 1 history = the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda + the accident of the last of them from 1976. I'm not really into biopics, and for various reasons I'm neither watching Formula 1 since years, but this movie looks quite good, and the direction by Ron Howard ("Apollo 13", "A Beautiful Mind", "Cinderella Man" to count only the same genre) gives an increased degree of probability to hear about this title also at the next year Oscars.





The movie for which I have the biggest expectancies in all the current series comes at the start of October and it's ( obviously :) ) a SciFi (more or less). "Gravity" is a production with two actors (probably only them for 99% of the length) - Sandra Bullock & George Clooney - a director who should guarantee a good result - Alfonso Cuaron ("Children of Men", "Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban" - the only in the series that left me with a nice impression) - and an apparently simple subject, but at least an original one: following an .. "accident", two astronauts fall into space drift on the orbit. And that's pretty much all we know for the moment :) ...





November starts with a SciFi expected by apparently lots of people: "Ender's Game". I didn't read the book (Orson Scott Card), awarded with Hugo and Nebula, but I know the story in brief, and in the SciFi range that I had time to digest it leaves me pretty much as cold as "Starship Troopers" (Robert Heinlein). I know that it's not the same thing but is the niche of the genre ("military science fiction" to quote from Wikipedia) for which I really don't have any interest. I'm waiting to see if the movie manages to contradict me.





It couldn't be possible to skip completely the super-heroes section. And since I don't have many options anyway as trailers for the end of Fall, I won't jump over "Thor: The Dark World". From all the Marvel series, the first "Thor" is for me somewhere at the bottom of the list (together with "Iron Man 2" and more movies from the "X-Men" series), so if the second episode surprises me it cannot be otherwise than on the positive side.





Another sequel, "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire", closes November and the current preview round. Without extra comments, I'll just say that's another example, where considering the first part, this one cannot surprise me in any other way than positive. If it surprises me, on which I don't give much chance :P





That's about it for the current "preview". Time during I managed to gather up a couple of subject for the coming weeks. Cam atat pentru "avantpremiera" curenta. So, back next with a movie ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment