Friday, May 31, 2013

Summer-Fall 2013 Movie Preview - Part 1


I'm maybe in the worst mood for writing since the beginning of the year. So the end of May is well synced, since it's the usual time when I go through the movies of the following 6 months. So, less words, more video ...

In June we have, the way too promoted "Man of Steel". Getting over the semi-alergic condition that I lately developed for super-hero movies (although I have to admit that "Iron Man 3" was decent), the only part that attracts me to this one is the direction by Zach Snyder. But not even this probably can save a story told already in something like 3-4 trailers (+ the known background), the last of them covering pretty much all the blank spots left.





I'll stop for a moment on "White House Down". Because I've recently seen "Olympus has Fallen". Which is a bit like a Die Hard at the White House. And now, at least than 3 months distance comes the "remake". Why I insist on it ? Just because the first version, contrary to some ratings that mislead me when I payed my ticket, makes the last "Die Hard", bashed by everybody, to look like a Oscar movie. To bad for the idea, which has potential for an action movie. So, from the weirdness of having two movies with the same topic one after another, maybe something good manages to finally come out. Even though Roland Emmerich directing (remember "Godzilla" ?) doesn't sound encouraging.





By far, the most interesting title for June comes from UK. "Hummingbird" is a thriller written and directed by Steven Knight ("Dirty Pretty Things", "Eastern Promises"). As an alternative title it also comes as "Redemption". No pun intended, but even so I'm curious to see if Jason Statham in his first role with a more solid drama content deserves getting credit for the acting, demonstration avoided by now with the skill of the "Transporter" driver.





"The Lone Ranger" opens July as the last collaboration between Gore Verbinsky/Johnny Depp/Jerry Bruckheimer & Disney. Contrary to the majority of the public, who besides "Pirates of the Caribbean", pretty much ditched every Disney super-production in the last years, to be read "Prince of Persia" & "John Carter", I actually liked them. Quite a lot. There's something there from the feeling of the movies before '90 ("Indiana Jones", "Back to the Future", "Star Wars" the old series). So, I have hope also here. And since the mentioned triplet is the same from "PotC", if the movie confirms, I hope it will get enough public this time to avoid getting canceled for eventual sequels.





Not to forget animations completely, this summer we have "Turbo". After the first teaser, close to 0 details, the title did sound promising. Without more comments, following the 2nd trailer I start to think if DreamWorks is somehow "virused" by Pixar lately as feeling/age target/rest of script+story related stuff (and it's not supposed to be something good).





I know I mentioned above that I become allergic to super-hero movies, but I don't know if I have any better option for the end of July. And the last version of "Wolverine", although again giving quite a lot from the subject in the trailer, looks anyway relatively promising. If we take as plus only the Orient location and we already have something more original than the other title with "steel" in it.





I have to admit that this year seems very good for SciFis, compared to others. And more, SciFis that seem promising and already confirmed ("Oblivion", "Star Trek"). Because there's also the "classic" category targeted on getting profit proportional with the explosions amount (maybe I'm wrong but it looks that "Pacific Rim" sort of fits). From the others though, in August we have "Elysium". But let's see if what we have here it's not just competition to (and on par with) "Hunger Games" ...





I'll allow myself to put also "Grandmaster" on this summer list, although the movie was already released. I don't really preview Hong Kong movies because even if I have a pretty good opinion on many titles that are getting out of there, there are a lot which are totally lame. This one was sent though to a bunch of festivals (where to be true the opinions were divided). So I said that I can do an exception. Especially since is directed by Wong Kar Wai, somehow strange for a biopic that (after I don't know how many other installments) it's about Ip Man's life, known as essential figure in the Chinese martial arts. Why the directing seems strange .. because WKW is known for a series of movies that don't have almost anything in common with this type of action, and get much more close to a surreal drama area (yes, surreal drama from that part of the world - check out "2046" or "Chunking Express" - it might be surprising after you see them but they're made in China). Anyway, after the trailer, the movie looks fine at least visually, so I would give it a chance ...





If I already got into a niche that's far from mainstream, and with movies that are released already in some places, I'll end August and today's entry with a made in UK production, about which I don't know if it's low budget or not, but looks quite indie. And for an indie to get catchy, especially a fantasy in which there were pumped some money, "Hammer of the Gods" should hopefully have at least a decent story .. or lots of blood. We'll see which one ...





No comments:

Post a Comment