Monday, May 13, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)




How should I write this entry without spoiler ? I'd better not write anything :) Ok, let's try something brief. Because what's essential for "Star Trek Into Darkness" is that somehow it managed up to the release date to keep the subject pretty hidden. It's essential because it turned to be a pretty pleasant surprise not knowing much in advance. Even the negative character, although listed in the IMDb published cast since a while ago still had a question mark upon him. It even got to fake "leaked screenings" of the final credits that gave identity (either fake or real) to ...

Khan. Khan Noonien Singh. That's as much as I'll leave as "spoiler" - nothing more. Sorry, but to "enjoy the movie" is better like this, with the risk of an entry that's too short. I still can make some recommendation though. To get a complete enough view of what the last Star Trek offers, it would be good to see the previous one that starts an alternative temporal line for Kirk & Co. Alternative to the generation and the facts from the first series (the old old one, before Picard), having the connection point in "the old Spock" (Leonard Nimoy). Even more recommended before watching the last installment is to see "The Wrath of Khan" aka Star Trek II = the 2nd big screen movie from 1982. In case it wasn't obvious already, Khan is not a new character. More important is that the script of the new movie "recycles" in very nice manner what it gets from there. I'll refrain from saying more but it deserves attention. If you've already seen the movie from 30 years ago, the current one will certainly bring up memories. I hope in a positive way :) although there are opinions saying that J.J. Abrams has lost the Star Trek spirit and that the commercial aspect (= action, explosions, violence) dominates instead a sufficiently complex and intelligent subject that would me more in line with the series. Partially I agree, partially though the subject is not (yet) so superficial to throw the movie in .. how to say it nicely .. well .. "Transformers league".

Besides that, as in the previous big screen "episode", the cast is really up to the level of the original one (I'll keep my opinion that at least the doctor: "Bones" McCoy played by DeForest Kelley before '90 is perfectly reprised by Karl Urban now). To avoid any spoilers, I'll keep the discretion on the negative character ( but this is also with a plus :) ). On the positive side I would also add the sound + the score by Michael Giacchino for who I don't have much respect, but I have to admit that he catched "the feeling". On the minus side, besides the ultra commercial factor + the typical U.S. "flavor" (even if it would stand written on the credits that the production is 100% European you'd still be convinced that it comes from Hollywood), something else, well ... the 3D. I've never been too attracted to 3D, but there are movies (e.g., "Life of Pi") on which I had to admit that it works, and that it makes a difference. Not in this case. For me it could have been 2D without doubt, especially given some action scenes in which the frame is not fixed for at least a second. In any case, the general conclusion is positive. So, enjoy the movie, and .. live long and prosper ;)

Rating: 4 out of 5




No comments:

Post a Comment