Sunday, December 11, 2011

Repo Men (2010)




Unfortunately I don't have anything left to preview, and I have to fall back to something seen a bit longer ago since this week I didn't have time for movies. But since "a bit longer ago" wasn't that long ago and "Repo Men" is a Sci-Fi that surprised me positively, I fortunately have a subject. I would have preferred though something more accessible because I must start by saying that you have to have a tough stomach to get over this movie from start to finish (no pun intended :), you'll get it when you'll see the movie) ...

What's the idea ? Well, in brief we have a not very far future when there exists the possibility to save your own life (sort of speaking ...) by using the services provided by "The Union" - a sort of corporation that deals with medical services that consist in organ transplant without waiting queues. But, there's a catch ... Primo - the prices are huge and generally imply monthly payments with an interest. Secundo - in case of payment delay, the company property = the liver, the heart, etc is returned .. by force. Meaning that the corporation has a special department of "repo men" apparently having some skills in surgery .. what makes the movie a bit more bloody in my opinion than it should be. As a feeling I got, if you manage to get over the first 5 minutes it's fine :) .. you won't get much more intense than that (just more bloody but the maximum psychical effect is passed .. I guess).

Without saying too much, the story follows two of the repo guys, best buddies, one of them adding involuntarily to it's marital troubles related to the job also a physical one = a new borrowed heart. More details in the movie. The idea is that up to the moment where this happens, the script makes everything it cans to disgust you (starting with the first 5 minutes from the beginning). Not necessarily visually, but more related to the idea of "humanity" that's sent. In other words what you get first is one side of the story - the one seen by the "repo service". After the mentioned guy gets his new heart, he slowly gets drawn and ends up on the other side (no spoiler here, it was probably obvious) - the side of the ones potentially prone to get hunted if they didn't pay on time. And something changes, obviously also in the tone of the movie. Besides this, the story starts to get some complexity, and the ending is one that has serious chances to surprise you. Without saying more than I should, it at least a part of what you'll see leaves you an impression that's stretched too far to be credible, just wait ...

I don't have time to write much more. The main cast - Jude Law, Forest Whitaker, Alice Braga, Liev Schreiber does an excellent job. What I would like to point out anyway is the score that's superb. I don't remember exactly what's coming from the main composer = Marco Beltrami, but what left stuck in my head is the usage of some songs here and there having a very powerful effect on the associated scenes. For instance, if I'm not mixing them already ... those 5 minutes from the start which I keep mentioning are rolling on a version of the well-known "Sway". To symmetrically complete it, Dave Stewart (who should sound familiar at least due to "Lily Was Here") has a song on the end credits, that fits so well as conclusion that made me stuck my eyes on the screen until the final frame.

As an ending idea it's a movie that I consider underrated, but unfortunately I had to admit that there are reasons to, probably the cause being the aggressiveness excess. Anyway .. trust me .. even so this is not completely gratuitous = if you like SciFi's with some substance behind you should see it.

Rating: 4 out of 5





No comments:

Post a Comment