Sunday, December 4, 2011

Part 2 of Winter-Spring 2011-2012 Movie Preview



I'm getting directly into the subject because I don't have much time for writing. I suppose that everybody heard about Tarzan. However I don't know who heard about John Carter. What's the catch ? Both were created by the same author - Edgar Rice Burroughs - being featured on the cover of a significant number of books (individually, not together, obviously - the first is lost in Africa, the other on Mars). Well .. if Tarzan got enough coverage during the last century, next March it seems we get the first big budgeted production for pentru John Carter. For me looks like an YASM - Yet Another Superhero Movie ... but we'll see ...







If we're already on the American literature area let's move on to another Edgar. "The Raven" which for my expectations is top of the list for the next Spring is an apparently awkward mix between the dark tales of Edgar Alan Poe and .. Edgar Alan Poe himself. What is probably not that known, and by chance I've found out myself quite soon from a book that got into my hands, is that Poe was a pretty complex character let's say for the first half of the 19th century when he lived, besides the prose having also written a series of essays related with the origins of the universe, physics, etc ... nothing really serious as far as I know but nevertheless interesting to read. Anyway, until I'm not starting to get to far from the subject, coming pack to the production which in the end I really doubt that has something to do with the real Poe besides the literature part, what I'd like to point aout is the director: James McTeigue this being after all the reason for which I'm waiting for the movie. To be more exact I doubt that it would be comparable with "V for Vendetta", but if it's above "Ninja Assassin" it's already very good.







Since I didn't have any animations from last time up to this moment I'm closing March 2012 with "The Pirates! Band of Misfits". As the trailer says, the movie is produced by the same studio - Aardman - that released "Chicken Run" (which I didn't get to see yet) and the shorts series + the movie featuring Wallace & Gromit, stuff that for me was genius work. Unfortunately Nick Park who nailed a few Oscars with those doesn't seem to be associated in any way with the present title. Anyhow, I still hope for something above average ...







In April we have "Safe" which I find to be something like a sort of "Mercury Rising" reloaded. In case nobody remembers about "Mercury Rising" don't worry you have no reason to, it's a movie with Bruce Willis since before 2000 which was a major flop. But at least it had Bruce Willis ... Here, besides the reused idea we have also Jason Statham on the reloaded track (I'm asking myself if this guy couldn't optimize a bit his incomes and career = to shoot more movies at once, it's anyway the same role in each).







As it can be already observed I don't have many titles left for the next Spring, so even if I'm not a very big comedy fan, I don't have any options left for the next April besides "American Reunion". It's a sequel. For "American Pie". What's the number ? I have no idea ... I lost count ...







In case somebody forgot the superheroes invasion lately, it's not a problem - in May the next year, everybody comes back in "The Avengers". Since I'm more than fed up with the genre, I won't spend any time enumerating them, you can look for yourself in the trailer ...







I'm closing this preview (without much hope) with "Battleship" because that's pretty much the last trailer momentarily available for the end of next Spring. The only reason that made me mention it is the fact I've seen Liam Neeson around there but I'm not sure that's enough to guarantee that we won't end up with an aquatic Transformers ...







Next time I'm back with a movie. Ciao ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment