Sunday, December 25, 2011

Real Steel (2011)




Ok .. I know .. "Real Steel" doesn't sound that good for the current period, but the title is misleading. Even if the movie was released in October, I say that it's quite fit for the winter holidays. Reason for I've actually chosen it as the subject (well .. I actually didn't have many recently seen options to choose from). From start I have to say that the rating in the end is quite objective. If I would have to refer at "the usual feeling" that's associated with these days (sorry, I didn't find any other better way to name it :) you know what I mean), than it would be one point higher for how well it fits.

We have a sort of family story with a happy end that's more than predictable, but that's not a big problem :) you want it like this & you get what you want. In brief, in a future that's not far, professional boxing was replaced with robot fights. That's where the title comes from ... The competitors are the owners of the steel machines fighting in the ring based on remote control - by joystick, voice, or even mimicking the moves made outside the ring by the player (actually an interesting idea .. I'm wondering if there isn't some potential for something like this when the robotics will get more advanced). In this context we have a real ex-boxer, who switched to the new "sport", and who also tries hardly to make some money but manages to blow it and not only in his "career" but apparently on everything. His girlfriend, the owner of the robot service that gets almost bankrupt, is ready to break up completely with him. His son, being 10-11 years old, hates him for the fact that was neglected since his birth until his mother died, and more .. now for the custody being "sold" to an aunt (actually to the aunt's husband). Well .. I don't know what to say more. If you watch the first 20 minutes you'll already know pretty much of what's next. And I've already said that the end is happy. So .. it's enough :)

I don't have any filmic details to give. I can't say that I've watched something that impressed me in some detail ( well .. I'll refrain from starting to "analyze" Evangeline Lilly's smile because I'm not sure is of general interest ;) The movie, overall, is perfect if you want something light, to give you (or adding more to) a positively-optimistic mood. It's also sufficiently alert to catch your atention. But besides the action, the title, the fighting context, etc .. the result in my opinion is something quite non-violent (remember, robots fight, not the people) that eliminates pretty much every inferior limit for a targeted age. It's also a bit too .. how to put it .. "american" = the obviously happy end, a series of cliche/rolling eyes scenes + (a bit of spoiler here) in the end I had a vague feeling that I've seen a remake of "Rocky". But exactly this is what it makes to be what I've said above it is = sort of fit for this time of year. Ocasion for, I'm also sending a "Happy Holidays !" wish to everybody ;)

Rating: 3 out of 5





No comments:

Post a Comment