Friday, September 13, 2019

The Heat (2013)



I don't know if I may have "spent too much time" in Asia lately, or I just got into a way too critical mood, but "The Heat" was close to unwatchable... close... I don't have other subject, and I doubt I'll find one before the end of the week. So, this is what it is...

I said before that I keep a list of movies "to watch", on which I add from time to time what I don't get to see, a list from which I remove more than I add lately. Unfortunately the current movie was still there. It's a "cop duo". A FBI agent (Sandra Bullock) with an apparently higher IQ than of her colleagues and a superior attitude, is sent from New York to Boston, on a mission to identify a drug lord who nobody has seen. There, she's forced to team up with a local cop (Melissa McCarthy), a bit nutty and a bit alcoholic. Moving on, from perp to perp until getting to the big boss, we have the classical recipe - comedy alternating with action. However...

The classical recipe was quite catchy for '80s-'90s - all the "Lethal Weapon" series, "48 Hrs.", "Rush Hour" (at least the first), even "Showtime", and there are more. From time to time I'm stumbling on one of these on TV and I still believe they aged well. On the other hand pretty much all I've seen being released after 2010 in this genre = "Cop Out", "21 Jump Street", this one "The Heat", is getting worse and worse. I'd be tempted to call myself subjective, in the sense that the focus on comedy (which I'm not that much into) is stronger than the action/thriller part, which is much more present in stuff like "Lethal Weapon" for instance. However, if the the used comic would be ok that won't be an issue, but we just have a high density of little jokes that vary somewhere between lame and immature. The comedy is so unnatural that most of the time it doesn't present any credibility & it fails... at least for me. On top of everything here is so obvious from the first time you see him who's the main culprit that waiting so long for this to be revealed is torture. The only good part I could see was some chemistry between the characters. But that's not enough to save a flunked script...

Rating: 2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment