Sunday, November 8, 2015

Spectre (2015)



I had a nightmareish week. And I hoped I can indulge myself 2-3 hours of rest watching the latest Bond. Unfortunately, for me "rest" in the context of watching a movie doesn't mean mental lethargy. I'm expecting something that if doesn't have a very innovative story, is still somewhat engaging or at least doesn't have a script that gets ridiculous once each 15 minutes. That's a generous average estimation ... too bad the movie lasts for more than two hours. Too much to lose more time with the writing. In one phrase, lacking ideas, the brilliant screenwriters (four of them) resurrected the main villain from the '60s-'80s Bond = Ernst Stavro Blofeld, adding to the package a soap-opera side where this guy has some teenage years traumas caused by Bond + of course the trendy topic of evil organization a la NSA that monitors worldwide communications. As we got used in "Skyfall" (which is at least one class better than "Spectre") we have again: stunts that couldn't be done by the mother of all agents in this world herself (at least not by getting out alive wearing the same impeccable buttoned suit), instant hacking of servers + "smartblood" + other IT&C aberrations for artistic impression, and finally the same reasoning Bond applies of leaving bad guys alive so we can re-use the actors in the next fight, or the bulletproof algorithm: "I'm a one man army => I can beat any army" <=> "I'm going alone, walking through the front door in the base of capo di tutti capi and I'll tell him I don't like him. I'm Bond ain't I, and we must have happy end. It's obvious that I'm the one getting out alive from there.". Ok, it's a movie ... You'll tell me "Mission Impossible" has the same problems. Yes, but that accepts it's just fun entertainment, and doesn't try to look like a serious spy thriller, where even simple dialogues sound overly pompous. Do I have to say that besides Christoph Waltz, all cast seems fed up with the part and as eager as you to get to the rolling credits? ...

Rating: 2 out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment