Thursday, November 12, 2015

5 .. Blade Runner (1982) .. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (1968)



5 is the age of this blog (8 in its original version). "Blade Runner" is an old SciFi having my age (considered by most "the best in the genre"). "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" is the even older book that's behind the movie ...

Let's start with 5 (don't worry, I'll be short). It's been a while since I'm writing, and contrary to intuition, expectancy or any other logical reasoning I seriously feel that the output is worse and worse. Fortunately for my "self-esteem" I have an excuse: time = or lacking it. We can add on top also as news the back pains = I guess I prefer half an hour - one hour - or whatever takes to write an entry laying in bed instead typing. But let's stop complaining. I'm not shutting down the blog. For the traffic I get, which it's been a while since I checked just to keep my illusion that there's somebody reading, all I can promise is that I hope to keep up until the 6th anniversary. When hopefully, in a more optimistic mood I'll come up with an entry that's not as rushed as this one ...

What's above probably explains a bit how I got to "Blade Runner". The always missing resource = time, didn't let me try something new. So I said, let's do a query on my brain and see what good movie works for a "Happy Birthday" entry (especially considering the latest ratings). Risking some booing from the audience, I don't consider "Blade Runner" a masterpiece. But it's still a good movie. The story is relatively simple, the meaning is more complex. We have a bounty hunter, who in a dystopic future has the mission of hunting androids, identically human, and escaped from the "jobs" they have been produced for. That's the story. The meaning ... well .. the movie's not that fresh in my mind, but I guess everybody could find something there. For I don't know what reason, now comes to my mind the android's life length = 4 years, short and intense. The question is does it worth it or not, in a context where in the end there's no choice - so answering is useless - but still the question somehow stays there ...

"Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep?" is more fresh. Somehow, I managed to wrap it up this summer. And it's one of the reasons that strengthens my opinion that "Blade Runner" is not a masterpiece :). As usual the people say the book is better than the movie. Here is more than a confirmed cliche. The book is different. First of all, spoilers excluded, if the movie left you a question mark on the human condition of the main character, I think the book clears this out quite well. The nice part, just guessing, is that I think you can read it also "differently" = to make it clear also in the other way. Sort of Schrodinger's cat, it's both dead or alive, but it is the way you see it and stays like that. There are plenty of details in the book that make the story much richer than what the movie offers, and implicitly what you can get out of it.

To cut it short, and stop the philosophy until it drives itself into stupidity :) - there are two things incredibly clear in this foggy dark universe: despite the age "Blade Runner" is still an impressive cinematic achievement and it's the proof that Ridley Scott knew how to make a movie back then; also despite the age "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" confirms my belief that P.K.Dick remains incredibly actual no matter how many years pass by. The only question is when I'll get enough time for this blog :)? Depends if you "live" or not I guess...

BR - Rating: 4 out of 5
DADoES - Rating: 5 out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment