Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Largo Winch (2008)



I've seen "Largo Winch" around three weeks ago during a sleepless night, and since then I want to write an entry about it and I don't have time. Finally, I said that a short one would be better than nothing .. So, here we are. It's been quite a while since I had such a nice surprise coming from a comics based movie. However, there are two things to point out here, that make this different from the consistent batch of such stuff we had in the latest years: 1. it's not a super-hero movie 2. it's an European production (as well as the comics).

The story in brief: a magnate, owner of a big corporation, dies by drowning. The surprise of the administration council when getting ready to take over, the deceased has an heir, an adoptive son kept away for a long long time. From here onward we get "the origin story", somehow similar to the first part of any super hero franchise, but with the difference that we're kept in the credible realm of normality (= no superpowered spiders, no devices for heart powering, no SciFi stuff). "The origin story" goes along very well with the current action - being actually part of it, stuff that probably makes the difference between what we have here and the typical made in Hollywood material.

Probably there's more to say. The location setting for instance is flawless, despite the budget which I doubt is very big. There's also a sequel that I heard it's not as good, so I'll probably skip it just to avoid spoiling the impression I got. Which, given what we normally have in the genre, tends to max ... if it wouldn't be for a small problem ... the acting. Couldn't just be perfect :) ...

Rating: 4 out of 5




No comments:

Post a Comment