Sunday, June 1, 2014

Summer-Fall 2014 Movie Preview - Part 1


Yeah, yeah .. I know :) I'm again behind schedule with my entries. Don't worry, we'll recover = 2 entries, I hope, in 2 days ;) (with emphasis on "I hope" :P). The usual preview for end of May - start of June. Let's see what summer brings ...

"Edge of Tomorrow", already released in some places, is an adaptation after a Japanese SciFi novel, which according to some was supposed to combine "Groundhog Day" with "Independence Day". Well, somehow I managed to see this movie in a Basel cinema this Friday (don't ask), so I can say that: 1. the small piece of romance that's nicely thrown there somewhere is so waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better (at least for me) compared to what I remember from "Groundhog Day" and 2. who compared this with "I-Day" deserves to be cut in pieces and fed to aliens :D The best movie I've seen this year (well, on par with "Philomena", but a total different genre). I'll dedicate a full entry for it. By then, all can I say is don't miss it ;) ...




"Borgman" is a Dutch production, which I've decided to add on the list to bring some color to the typical made-in-Hollywood collection. I don't know more than it's a thriller that already has been shown in a couple of festivals, and is supposed to get an international release soon. More, in the trailer.




"How to Train Your Dragon 2" comes out in June. For me, "HTTYD" is the best animation ever made (well, I still have some indecision regarding "Emperor's New Groove" - the former #1). So, on one hand this sequel is mandatory to see, but on the other hand I'm afraid that it might have been better not to be made. Because I think it's really, really hard to reach at least 3/4 of what the original managed to offer. And from my experience, the ultra-aggressive marketing (very present these days) was never deserved when it got to the final product. But, we'll see ...




"Earth to Echo" has the release date somewhere at the beginning of July. At a first sight is seems to be a sort of "E.T." remake combined with some "Super 8". Unfortunately for my preferences, seems biased more to the former than to the latter, but since most SciFi's find a place on my list ;) ...




"Jupiter Ascending" is the most recent production by the Wachowski's ("Matrix", "Cloud Atlas"). A bit too colored for me, but I thought it deserves a chance ... after all I can't say that I've ever been disappointed by them ...




"Lucy" is my guilty pleasure :) for this July. Comments are useless. Check out the trailer ;) ...




"Guardians of the Galaxy" starts the month of August, and is the first time when I'm actually 100% convinced to watch a production based on Marvel Universe. Finally, something that seems to depart from the classic recipe of superhero troubled with existential issues. It might sound weird, but I sense something from "John Carter" in this trailer ... even though it doesn't seem to have anything in common ... I'm referring to the atmosphere .. and I loved "John Carter" ;) ...




"The Expendables 3" doesn't require much introduction. Because it probably doesn't have much story either :) But if it gets to the level of the 2nd part (God forbid to be like the first), it deserves the ticket money ;) ...




"Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" ends August. Finally we get a sequel, at 9 years after the first, and after many delays and casting changes. Stuff that usually doesn't announce something good. But, for the sake of the old times ;) ...




For the Fall season, next time = very soon ;) ...

No comments:

Post a Comment