Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Den brysomme mannen (2006)



Busy month ... I'm gonna shorten the entry again, but at least now I have a movie option. "Den brysomme mannen" aka "The Bothersome Man" is a sort of dark comedy, with some surreal nuances a la Terry Gilliam, and which leaves a feeling of "unfinished" from one end to another ...

The movie has a pretty original start that's catchy enough to get you hooked for a while. After a short scene showing a man apparently jumping in front of a subway tram, the guy is presented as sole passenger in a bus which drops him in front of a hut in the middle of a wasteland. Where another guy ... after wrapping up a handmade "Welcome" banner leads the newcomer to his new residence. An apartment in a grey city, with people pretty much as grey, but apparently fully satisfied with their life. Well, for the new guy in town this doesn't seem to work. Ok ... enough with the details, or I'll end the movie.

I'll stick to the opinion that I'm on a total different wavelength than Norway's cinema. I keep trying periodically, but it doesn't work. If I remember well, the previous experience was "Hodejegerne" which I almost liked .. in the circumstances where the subject and the trailer were promising something certain for my typical preferences. Maybe my brain is just too wrecked these days to digest (again, in pieces, with breaks between) an attempt for an afterlife allegory, heaven vs. hell, or whatever was meant to represent what I've watched. I can't complain it wasn't original, but I can complain that it was as every production made there, just too dry for my taste.

Rating: 3 out of 5




No comments:

Post a Comment