Tuesday, March 11, 2014

La grande bellezza (2013)



After 2013's European Film Awards, for one year I decided to skip the winner, since the synopsis suggested something too likely to be depressing. In a very "inspired" moment, I've chosen then from the nominees list another Italian production ("La Migliore Offerta") that proved to be a total disaster for "my daily mood" (although a very good movie on its own). Anyway, after getting also the Globe, BAFTA & finally the Oscar for best foreign movie, I've decided I should find a couple of hours to finally check out "La grande bellezza" aka "The Great Beauty" (running international title). The result: mixed feelings ...

I'm not getting too much into the subject, because there is no subject. A concise summary would be: reflections over life, more or less disconnected, through a 65 years old writer's eyes. Living in Rome ... where pretty much all the movie takes place. And which location contributes a lot to one of the best cinematography I've seen lately (I could place it on par with "Inside Llewyn Davis", although it's in a total different tone). The movie is gorgeous visually, from the start scene, up to the final credits. It's so good on this part, that for me managed to overshadow almost everything else. Because overall, the visuals, I don't know .. bring something warm near some of the life snippets which are somewhere between harsh cold and pure hypocrisy. Maybe it's just my own interpretation, but probably a sense would be that when something's getting really bitter, to throw a look around and check out the view .. either behind you, close to you, or towards the horizon .. you might find something looking sweet enough to keep going, while caring more or less - choice is yours, but reaching out a bit further ...

It's a movie that 10 years ago I would have found terribly boring. 5 years ago I would've been probably terribly depressed after seeing it. Today, neither happened. I didn't like it, I didn't dislike it - as I said, mixed feelings :) Guess I'm right when I say I'm getting old :))) ...

Rating: 4 out of 5




No comments:

Post a Comment