Sunday, December 2, 2012

Part 2 of Winter-Spring 2012-2013 Movie Preview


I'll start the second part of the preview entry with "Oz: The Great and Powerful", scheduled for release next March. It's a prequel to the classic story, and despite looking like a Tim Burton movie from what you can see in the trailer, it isn't one (fortunately, if we look at "Alice" as an example, a pretty uninspired choice mentioned as reference by the producers). The directing belongs to Sam Raimi (the "Spiderman" trilogy, the "Evil Dead" trilogy, etc), thing that gives some hopes.





I liked the first "G.I. Joe" despite the reviews at the time. At least it had a story slightly more complex than the usual superhero movie (in the end it's not a superhero movie .. but you could still apply the comparison). The sequel, delayed by one year, seems though to be a potential disaster if we take a look at the director's CV ... "Step Up 2", "Step Up 3D", "League of Extraordinary Dancers" ... I'd better stop here, although there's more ... But we have Bruce Willis. And Adrianne Palicki in the red dress ;)





I'm closing March with "The Host". The only reason for adding this title to the list is the directing by Andrew Niccol who pleasantly surprised me not that long ago with "In Time" (although "Gattaca", considered a classic, for me was just plain boring). It probably matter more though that the movie is adapted from another "successful" novel by Stephenie Meyer ("Twilight" in case it doesn't ring a bell, and it's enough said).





There aren't many trailers released for the next April. So I'll come with an anti-recommendation ("backed-up" anyway further below also by the trailer - rated R). I was mentioning somewhere before "Evil Dead" by Sam Raimi. For who likes horrors is impossible not to know about it. Well, the remake is going to be released next year ... What's new in it ? No Ash, apparently. Again, who knows what I'm talking about, I guess agrees with me that "Evil Dead" without Bruce Campbell as Ash is hard to conceive .. but without Ash as main character is already a blasphemy. Even worse is that Bruce Campbell promoted this, being also a producer ($, $ .. and again $). The only thing left to hope for, is that what you can see below is 0 compared to the final version - in terms of subject, feeling, etc. Unfortunately the only horror I know that managed to change the impression of the trailer in the last years was "The Cabin in the Woods". And I don't know why but my feeling is this one does not intend at all to do something similar.





Unfortunately we don't have yet a trailer for the following "Star Trek" which is top of the list from what I expect to come out next year, so I'll wrap up more quickly the today preview with "Iron Man 3". Release date in May. I assume that's known (at least by who looks from time to time at my posts), what opinion I have on super-hero movies. It doesn't differ in this particular case. It looks like "yet another one" following the classic story. However, again for the today entry, I have to refer to directing, which is different from the first two parts. This time is by a screenwriter - Shane Black (who of course is also the author of the script). Maybe the name doesn't say much, so I should give some reference - "Lethal Weapon" entire series, "The Long Kiss Goodnight", "The Last Boy Scout", "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang", "Last Action Hero". If it's not clear yet, check the titles on IMDb ;)





Back next week with a really good movie ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment