Monday, December 24, 2012

Life of Pi (2012)




Since one of my hands is not currently fully functional, I hope it will be forgiven if I'll shorten today's entry as much as the former one. As an extra argument, the difference from last time is that "Life of Pi" is actually a good movie, but with a relatively simple story that maybe shouldn't be spoiled in detail (despite the fact that the movie probably needs more views to catch every bit of it).

In brief, Pi is the son of zoo owner from India, who decided to emigrate in Canada along his whole family .. and also with the animals as "start-up funds" (higher price on the American continent). As it can be seen in the trailer, the trip is not the most pleasant journey, Pi ending up stranded in the middle of the ocean. As I was saying, I'll stop with the story details at this point.

Tehnically, the production is superb. Especially in the visual register. Actually, I think that's the first movie on which I can actually speak about well-done cinematography in 3D (to be read: not CGI labeled as cinematography). Another nice surprise was the directing style. I've been used with too slow movies from Ang Lee ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"). We don't have something extremely fast-paced here, but in any case it does not have unnecessary lengths that can be felt.

Maybe, there is more to be said about "Life of Pi" as story and/or script analysis. But I'm afraid that anything said might become too subjective to be relevant. I could enumerate for instance a list of "maybe's" :) : maybe .. sometimes in life you should give a choice to pick a story or the truth ; maybe .. you should accept more "definitions" of life than only one, or build one from many ; maybe .. you should fight even with yourself for your hopes, and not just wait them to die last ( because that's guaranteed to happen anyway by default ;) )

Rating: 4 out of 5 and .. Merry Christmas ! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment