Monday, December 5, 2022

Winter-Spring 2022-2023 Movie Preview


Usually, if there's nothing to cause a delay, I'm posting the "traditional" seasonal entry before the actual beggining of the "season". Now I'm a couple days late, and not only due to lack of time, but mostly because of the lack of content... Maybe I got struck by some winterish very gloomy mood and I dislike everything. But let's see what can we put on the table...

I know there are other high budget and more marketable titles announced for December, but the only that I thought it's worthy to stop to is the already delayed "Puss in Boots: The Last Wish". Unfortunately even here, as in many of the recent animations, and not only, the trailer gave me the impression that the coffee or sugar consumption at Hollywood is exaggerated. This hyperactive pacing is tiring, and the density of light jokes present in anything that has a touch of comedy doesn't help. What follows is not far from that...

In January, we get the same hyper-glicemic rhythm in (apparently) a completely different genre - the next movie by Guy Ritchie: "Operation Fortune: Ruse de guerre". Given the way the trailer goes, starring Jason Statham as the "classic" lead, if you wouldn't know it's a movie by Guy Ritchie, your chance of guessing would probably be higher than the chance of getting some snow this winter. Anyway, this wouldn't be a problem if so much of the action wouldn't be spoiled already. Like that, what's left to see is only if there's enough room left to expect to see more.

The fact that for February I didn't manage to find anything more promising than "Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania" says a lot. Between this and "Cocaine Bear", well.. maybe I shouldn't think twice on it.

March: no escape from sequels. At least the trailer for "John Wick: Chapter 4" looks more exotic than "John Wick: Chapter 3". And the hope that will be more close to "John Wick: Chapter 2" stays alive.

I'll move over April and stop in May at the single entry of this list that I can say I'm looking forward to watch, even though again there's not something new: "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3". I still think, James Gunn, the director + writer, is pretty much the only one who managed to move out of the typical Marvel line and to provide some distinct personal touch, the first two GotG being in my opinion by far the best movies out of the most profitable = commercial super-hero universe. On the other hand I can't say the trailer looks very promising this time, but well, as above, the hope remains.

That's it. Maybe the summer will be more fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment