Saturday, June 5, 2021

Summer-Fall 2021 Movie Preview Part 2

I avoided last time to mention future box-office hits, favoring some titles that seemed more entitled to steal a couple of hours from the viewer's life. Lately, at least for me, it became harder to allocate time for watching a movie, so I care more if it's worth doing it. Therefore, despite the "classic" preview split = part 1 - summer, part 2 - fall, I decided to ignore what's currently announced for September = "Shang-Chi" (yet another Marvel movie), "Venom" the second (still featuring Marvel in its credits) and "No Time to Die" aka Bond the 25th, and instead to move back to August. Because, since my last entry, there's a new trailer out for this month - "Reminiscence" - which looks more promising than all the three above (and yep, I know I'm biased :P).

Risking to contradict the initial idea above, in October we have "Dune". Honestly, most of the cast seems miscasted to me, and my feel is that this won't surpass my preference for the mini-series produced in 2000 + mostly its sequel in 2003, which completes that adaptation so well that any other version limited to the first part only probably won't feel complete. I couldn't skip though mentioning one of the biggest "SciFi" events of the year. Besides that, Denis Villeneuve as director might count in this equation, although both "Arrival" and "Blade Runner 2049" were below my expectations.

"Ghostbusters: Afterlife" is scheduled for a November release. I've never been to fond of this series, and I skipped the latest reboot. The trailer here, however, has a more retro feeling, which resembles a bit the feel of "Super 8", another production that can make you nostalgic of the '80s. Besides that, it's probably interesting from the direction perspective - Jason Reitman, the son of Ivan Reitman, who was behind the original "Ghostbusters".

With that I'm closing the series of titles that seem worthy of attention for the next half of the year (at least what has a trailer out). I'd say it already looks better than the previous half ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment