Sunday, February 14, 2021

The Big Chill (1983)

No connection with the weather outside, or with the the fact that this weekend I enriched my CV with mounting thermostats on heating boilers, after the WiFi of the previous one decided to go crazy in the most cold night during last six months, I've chosen "The Big Chill" as subject after searching what I still missed from the top titles of the '80s. Unfortunately this choice was not as lucky as last week...

The best tagline that I can find now is a teen movie for middle-age people. In brief, because it actually doesn't give you more to say, the subject of the movie is a weekend meeting of a group of friends since their university years, following the suicide of one of them and respectively his funeral. There's no other actual action besides the various conversations and interactions between them. That's all.

Looking again at the title, probably the intention is of a "chillout movie" = a drama with minor comical traits (very minor despite the "comedy" genre tag appearing on some sites), good for a Sunday afternoon, and maybe attempting also to make you reflect a bit on everyday life. I can't deny that since I got older, my taste in the cinema area changed and I probably enjoy more a slow-paced drama than a tensed horror. However, the cheap philosophy in "The Big Chill" didn't get me, so it seems I'm not that old yet to accept a complete lack of dinamic on a narrative thread for two hours of a movie. I had enough time to think on how the cast (a top one) grown up since 30 years ago (e.g., Jeff Goldblum and Tom Berenger clearly have different genes), that being the main positive part out of this. And that it works as a sleeping pill. For the rest, maybe I need more years in my life.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5 (trying to be objective...)

No comments:

Post a Comment