Saturday, August 8, 2020

The Invisible Man (2020)




I missed the classic novel by H.G. Wells, having the same title as the current movie, "The Invisible Man", from my teenage readings. However, after seeing "Hollow Man" 20 years ago, I found out that the book is a gritty horror. Not that it has much in common with any of the two movies, although both are placed in the same genre by IMDb.

The subject, both in the movies, and from what I heard also in the book, has one common element = obviously, the invisible man, a researcher who manages following an experiment to reach that particular state of being. Unfortunately, he doesn't take advantage of the situation in a positive way, in all cases being corrupted by mental issues. In "Hollow Man", and again from what I heard in the book, the reason is not being able to reverse the experiment. I don't remember much more of the movie besides the fact that it had cool effects for that time and that I liked it, and about the book, as I said, I didn't read it. In the latest version of "Invisible Man" the story runs somehow different. The experiment is actually a suit created by a genius in the optical field, Adrian Griffin, suit that's obviously removable = the effect can be reversed. The optical genius however has another issue, more likely an obsession of total control over his wife, Cecilia. Obsession that manifests among others by installing cameras and security systems transforming the family residence into a jail. The result is that the desperate wife decides to escape one night, taking temporary shelter in cop's house, a friend of her sister. The trauma is deep enough though to keep her confined inside, frightened to make a step out until she finds out that her, now ex-husband, killed himself...

The trailer tells us how things evolve further. The movie has, if I counted well, something like three wannabe twists, out of which well... to be fair, one is not that predictable. Besides that, pretty much everything is predictable. Maybe except a couple actions that don't really connect. Fortunately, the movie is dynamic enough to not get you bored, but what saves it is especially the way it's made. Indeed, it builds a tense feeling that drives it towards horror, although I'd classify it more as a thriller - this effect is, however, rare enough to appreciate it (yes, I know that not longer than a month ago I had "The Guest" on my blog, exceptions happen). I'd also add a plus for avoiding excess violence. Pretty much all of it is what you see in the trailer, except one scene that's more bloody. One more thing to mention is the art direction/set decoration/location setting for the choice made regarding the Griffin residence. The large estate, placed somewhere on the sea shore, the interiors, even the fence, all together seem to get an actor's role at some point. I wouldn't go up to comparing with the Overlook Hotel in "The Shining", but it's still somewhere in top 10 estates to be noticed in movies.

Out of "Hollow Man" version 2000 and "The Invisible Man" version 2020, I finally think I'd go for "Memoirs of an Invisible Man" version 1992. Which is based on another book that mixes SciFi, action and comedy that doesn't have any connection with Wells' novel or the horror genre. Funny enough, it's directed by John Carpenter ("Halloween", "The Fog", "The Thing", etc.). But again, I don't remember much of it, besides the good impression it made to me when I've seen it. Maybe I'm nostalgic for more peaceful times... Although, if I look at the trailers, ignoring the aging effect. Well, judge for yourself...

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment