Saturday, April 4, 2020

Bad Boys for Life (2020)



A couple days ago, I was wondering if the there's some crossed digits typo in the Mayan calendar. Hopefully not... or at least not the digits I was thinking about. In any case, I said it might be a good idea to check a title of this year, since anyway, the number of new releases will most probably be smaller than usual. Besides that, I was complaining last time that I don't really have comedies in my schedule as an alternative material to the "apocalypse" genre promoted by most TV stations in their movie schedule these days. Well, I found an option that seemed perfect - "Bad Boys for Life" ... at least until I got to choose what poster to pick: one with "Ride Together. Die Together" as tagline or with a sober dark background. The clothing choice wins - when in doubt, wear black.

The latest "Bad Boys" was a nice surprise - 17 years since the previous one (damn, I'm getting old...), and 25 year since the first one (so old...), when I heard they're making another movie I didn't expect anything else than lots of hype, cheap story and exaggerated screen time for shooting and explosions. I don't know how much hype this got, the story is debatable on how cheap it is, and we have shooting and explosions, but thank God, the movie is not directed anymore by Michael Bay (if you watched any of the Transformers you should know what I mean). In the first part it still gives you the same feeling of an exaggerated action movie with lots of potential for eye-rolling at each third scene. Still, slowly, it did grow on me quite a bit.

If you don't know who the two bad boys in the tile are, it's probably recommended to watch the first two movies, which I'd say are "classics" of the '90s and respectively of the beginning of this century (even though I always found the first one overrated). In brief, Mike Lowrey (Will Smith) and Marcus Burnett (Martin Lawrence) are two detectives in Miami PD, who make a funny cop duo involved in actions where they need to deal with some really bad guys. Basically, the same trend as many of the movies of the period (for which I think that the "Lethal Weapon" series is the reference). Even though I only vaguely remember what the plot in the first two is, I'd risk saying that the in this third movie we have the most complex subject of them all. And that helps a lot, even though at some point it might start looking as a telenovela. I will only say that we have a revenge story, where the target is one of the two - Mike, who after escaping the bullets struggles to find out who and why shot him. And that in a context of his partner dreaming of nothing else than a quite retirement.

First thing first, the movie is funny. I really laughed, which happens rarely. But it also depends if you taste the kind of jokes you have here, and also maybe the advantage of the age has a role ;) = you've watched sometime, long ago, the other movies, and you see in a certain light the bunch of references in the range of "we're old & obsolete". Besides that, it also creates a bit of nostalgic feeling that might help. And on top of everything, in moments when you're ready to say that this is too exaggerated, it applies the only valid recipe for such situations - the movie makes fun of itself. Keep in mind having Kate del Castillo as main villain and the reference to telenovelas regarding the story ;). Even so, we're still left with some over-the-top moments, and probably the worst part is that unlike the other movies we have a main bad boy, the other getting lost a bit too often from the action.

Anyway, I don't have any psychotherapy experience, but I'll stick to my opinion that to stay as lucid as possible in though real life moments, you need some time off from the real life. Not too much, to not lose the contact completely :) And what we have here, I think it's a good option to remove a bit of the current days stress. .

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment