Saturday, November 30, 2019

Winter-Spring 2019-2020 Movie Preview - Part 1



I'll make permanent this "brief" version for previews, with just one entry per month. Not that I'd like to get rid of it quicker, but because there's really not much choice for more titles that show some promise. Maybe I'm getting too old, grumpy & picky, but well... that's life.

For December I tried to find something else that's more interesting than the last episode of the "Star Wars" saga, but I couldn't (really, I watched 12 more trailers having their release set for next month until I gave up). And unfortunately not because "The Rise of Skywalker" is very interesting - given that there are enough spoilers, and even seemingly more enough cliches in it. I said that I'm old, grumpy & picky. But let's keep some hope...

January has a better offer, but by far the title that seems to be the choice to watch is "The Gentlemen", or finally Guy Ritchie's return to the genre that made him a great director.

I gave up on horrors since some time. A while ago a director was saying in an interview that this is the most accessible genre that allows you the largest boundaries on creativity (ironically this was in a "making of" for a very poor movie). There are some studios that got specialized more or less on this niche (Blumhouse, Screen Gems, etc.), which keep repeating a couple recipes where they just change some ingredient. In February we have "Fantasy Island", which seems though to bring at least a setting that's a bit different. Not much, but at least we move out of the ghosts and other evil area which is lately beyond overused.

Back soon, cu sezonul de primavara...

No comments:

Post a Comment