Sunday, August 11, 2019

The Five-Year Engagement (2012)



I don't do reviews of romantic comedies because I don't really watch romantic comedies = they're either too depressing or too bad (I have a deja vu that I wrote this before...). I keep a list of "to watch" movie since long ago in which I periodically add stuff that seems worth watching but I don't have time for it at the moment. I don't know how "The Five-Year Engagement" got there (except of Emily Blunt being in it I can't explain it), and I don't know what got into me to pick it now... The movie is not bad, and maybe it wouldn't have been too depressing either if it wouldn't have had some weird sync with some family problems. Which gave me some food for thought, and cut ( again :) ... ) my mood for writing... Anyway, since I don't have time to watch anything else this week, let's quickly get into the subject.

Tom and Violet meet at a new year's party somewhere in San Francisco, they like each other, and within one year he offers her the engagement ring. She says yes and they start the wedding plans. Until Violet receives a confirmation for an academic position that she really wants (trying not to get into debates on academia jobs here...), but unfortunately located somewhere far in Michigan. It's temporary though, and both decide to relocate. However, that's enough to postpone the wedding. And, somehow predictable, also a reason that after moving to start having issues in their relationship. From future chef in a fancy restaurant Tom ends up as a fast food cook, and Violet slowly gets to be a bit too liked by her new boss. Obviously everything turns into a happy end, which without extra spoilers since the title says it already, takes five years to happen.

Even though the story is relatively linear and without many twists & turns, the movie is quite funny, and more important not dumb. Not that I'm much of a consumer of romantic comedies, but comparing with whatever else I've seen... Still, from a personal perspective, as I was saying it didn't come at the best moment, but that's subjective ...

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment