Thursday, July 25, 2019

Shaolin Soccer (2001)




A couple months ago I wrote a review for "From Beijing with Love". Only after I realized that I've actually seen years ago some other movies by Stephen Chow = "Kung Fu Hustle" (good one) and "God of Cookery" (way too silly). Both in the same range of slapstick comedy, but a bit... let's say different from the same genre made in US. So, actually, as I was comparing in that posting, I (re-)discovered an Asian version of Zucker/Abrahams/Mel Brooks. Unfortunately, after a quick look on IMDb, a bit beyond his glory days. However, it seems there still are some titles that sensei Chow directed, which I didn't see. But since I'm not really into this kind of movies I said let's skip it. Just to return now, again looking a sleeping pills alternative, and giving a chance to "Shaolin Soccer" for that. Well, I didn't sleep...

The story in one phrase: A former soccer glory, left with a limping foot after an incident set up by a former rival, 20 years after that, manages to set up a team of shaolin kung-fu adepts, to get his revenge in the biggest Asian tournament. Otherwise said: we have a parody between soccer vs kung fu movies. Lots of parody on kung fu movies :) (below there's some example of flying monks & Bruce Lee returns).

I'll make this short: I don't think I've seen much better comedies in this niche of absurd slapstick humor. I'd say it tops "From Beijing with Love", and it's making me think on re-watching "Kung Fu Hustle", which I don't remember much more beyond what's written above = good one. Besides that, it's a lesson of what comic effect you can get out just from some filming angles + some VFX that sometimes seem low budget, but that's actually helpful in the context. Anyway, watching this is better than reading... ;) I recommend the original version - the US dubbed one is shorter and misses some important content from what I've read.

Rating: 4 out of 5 (trying to be objective... :) still not really into slapstick comedy)


No comments:

Post a Comment