Sunday, May 5, 2019

Avengers: Endgame (2019)



I should've picked "Shazam!"... Well, not that I really had a choice, just sayin'. I didn't watch any "Avengers" in cinema up to "Endgame". The first was ok-ish, but didn't impress me much, and "Age of Ultron" was... let's just skip it. The surprise arrived with "Infinity War", which finally had a narrative that was actually good, and a bit more complex than what could a 15 year old screenwriter do in a PlayStation break. So, with high hopes, although I was convinced that this is over-hyped, I decided to give it a chance. Call me hater, but it's a worthy candidate to the most wasted 3 hours of my life for this month, even though we're at the beginning.

You know that after "Infinity War" what follows is a "time travel" movie, so that's not a spoiler. You know that the lost team will be back in the end, so no spoilers there. You know that you'll also have Captain Marvel to save the day in the end (well, sort of), so again, no spoile. You know that the finale will have a big battle, where we finally get rid of Thanos and all his kind, so I'm really not spoiling anything. What you don't know is that the reasoning for time travel in "Avengers" is "smarter" than in all Hollywood's history (I'm not the one claiming it), because we're not going back in time to change history - that will wreck the law of physics, and destroy our present. We just need to gather those 6-7 stones in the past, bring them to the present time, make an "undo" for the missing people, and move them back into the past exactly where we took them from - no harm done (they say...). I'm too lazy to start arguing why it would be pretty much the same thing with that bad classic version of time travel. But let's get over this... Let's also get over the finale of "Doctor Strange" (some of the few MCU movies that I really found to be good) where everybody was aware that a stone is called "the time stone" and used it precisely for its time powers. Let's also get over building a time machine, just to realize towards the end of the movie that the one in an abandoned mini-van is perfectly usable (although we don't really use that in the end). Let's also get over the effect of "erasing people" of the magic glove, which one time is random wrt who's spread into dust a la the undeads in GoT (at least that's what we see in the end of "Infinity War"), and one time is not random anymore (at least that's what we see in the end of "Endgame"). And we can also get over other stuff, but I have better things to do than add more to "you're really a hater" :P

It's not a secret for who's bothered to check some stuff on this blog that I'm not a Marvel fan, and generally I don't like superhero movies. There are exceptions. I mentioned one before. Guardians of Galaxy is another example, and actually a decently sized part of the DC Comics universe before getting "Marvelized", which happens lately. I'm not gonna give spoilers on for whom "Endgame" seems to be really the end - that's indeed some of the few unpredictable parts, but I have doubts that Marvel will give up on making money out of the characters that end their story here. It seems to me like a continuous money making machine using thinner and thinner story lines. Again, we have an excessive amount of CGI - somebody should tell Hollywood that 1 minute of VFX in a movie with no VFX is more effective than 30 minutes of continuous VFX - who's still impressed of how fine are rendered the shrapnel particles at the n-th explosion; your brain is effectively saturated at that point to react to this anymore. We also have tearjerking finale (quote from Tony Stark), way too long, which probably appeals to people residing in geographical areas that have less stress in daily life. I've never referred to the cinema public before in a post, but I've read somewhere that in Netherlands there were applause and tears. Around here... let's just say that I wasn't the only one often checking my watch in the last half an hour of the movie. The part that maybe saves what we have here for becoming completely forgettable (really, try in a couple years to describe the action in "Endgame" - I'm curious for how many that would take more than 3 minutes; do a test with "Age of Ultron" now), is the comic side. Indeed, the jokes and all this part are ok, and help a lot on getting through this. The rest... again, call me hater, but I've seen enough movies in my life to place the new top 10 IMDb entry, below my first 30%.

Rating: 3 out of 5 (objectively... if I would be subjective... not even 20 infinity stones could save what we have here)

No comments:

Post a Comment