Monday, August 20, 2018

Side Effects (2013)



Is it the pill, or it's not the pill? That's the essential question in "Side Effects". And which sticks up to the end. It's been a while since I've watched a movie that gives you that feeling of "I know who did it!" and change it after. And I think it does it more than once.

The setup goes like this. Emily is a depressive woman, whose husband is jailed for something like evading taxes (you're not told that, but it's probably something like that) being released after four years. Unfortunately from the status of former prosperous businessman, the guy now lives out his wife's salary who meanwhile wishing or not, had to find a job. Unfortunately neither his release, nor his efforts to get back his life seem to comfort the woman, who reaches out for a psychiatrist. The doctor switches her between several prescriptions, until we're getting to one with side effects. Bad, terrible, side effects... Since, up to this point you have to get through what I could name the boring area, with an extra touch for some moment trademarked Soderbergh (the director) that seem way longer than it's needed although you can't tell clearly what's the extra part, I will give a light spoiler: somebody dies (which makes you think if there aren't too many faces on the poster...). After that... is it the pill? :)

Risking another spoiler, between the lines, looking at the ending, I can say that the movie is quite disturbing. I mean, I would've taken the first "I know who did it!" and left it there. Although the action is quite different it reminded me somehow of "Gone Girl". Even though there you know quite well who's guilty. Here, as I said, you're induced of believing something, after which something else, and so on, and the development is subtle enough to not let you know until close to the finish if you're taking the right side.

Rating: 4 out of 5 (objectively, subjectively we stick to the standard 3.5 :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment