Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Early Man (2018)


I finally managed to watch a movie released this year. Unfortunately it wasn't the best choice. "Early Man" is the latest animation directed by Nick Park. If that doesn't sound familiar think on Aardman Studios, or "Wallace & Gromit", "Chicken Run" and other. With this list of references, I had my hopes so high that I utterly ignored the ratings thrown to this by critics (especially since lately I'm not really on the same page with that). Well... I can say it's the worst Aardman production that I've seen by now. First of all, all the action revolves around a simple soccer game, between the stone age team and the bronze age team - an event that's much more present in the story than the trailer shows (there's basically nothing else there). And we don't have more than the classic tale of the outsiders winning, filled with a bunch of bland jokes. For who's familiar with the previous Aardman titles, don't get fooled as I did. It might be acceptable if you don't know about the rest, but it's traumatizing if you've seen something else by Nick Park. It keeps a bit of the humor there, but it's a tiny tiny bit. There's not much else to write about this.... Disappointing.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5 (just to avoid being mean...)

No comments:

Post a Comment