Saturday, January 20, 2018

Coco (2017)




When I've seen the trailer for "Coco" I had a deja vu with "Book of Life", and I decided to let it pass, even more having two additional issues with it: 1. musical (animated or not animated it's still a genre I detest) 2. Disney/Pixar = excessive tear-jerking coefficient. I (hardly) reconsidered my decision following the reviews that place this as the best animation of last year. It was not the best idea, but not necessarily (or well... completely) because of the above reasons.

The context is indeed very similar to "Book of Life". We have a location somewhere in Mexico. We have a boy, Miguel, who wants a mariachi career but his family pushes him towards shoe making (well, there's a difference from the bull fighter in the other movie... but anyway). We have old unsolved family issues. We have the "Day of the Dead" context. We have the passage to the netherworld, where Miguel searches for his great-great-great-grandfather who left home with his guitar becoming a family outcast. And from here onwards, fortunately we have a different story. The good part is that overall is better organized than the story in "Book of Life", especially concerning the ending. The bad part is that the story in "Coco" is much more simpler/linear. Another bad part is that out of three essential twists, I've seen two coming much quicker than I should've = no exaggeration, but these were predictable from the first minute when the character/the twist element entered the scene. This thing made a consistent part of the movie pretty boring... and it's also enough as a reason to not tell more about the story :)

In respect to the musical part, this is quite consistent but fortunately tolerable. The excessive tear-jerking coefficient (trademark Pixar) is there, and it's the main problem I had with this movie, but unfortunately didn't go the way I expected... I didn't roll my eyes or check my watch to see how much time I still have to endure the torture. It's just that... let's say it's not a movie I would recommend watching at some moments in your life... can get very painful... but I'd rather not go into details.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment