Monday, September 18, 2017

Chasing Rabbits ... 2017 ... or whatever year edition



I don't remember if I wrote or not a "Chasing Rabbits" entry last year. What I recall is that I wrote one in 2015, in the same hotel near Otopeni airport where I'm now, also having a flight scheduled next early morning and few hours to sleep, but not having much sleep... I don't know what I wrote back then, but I know that this time I'll try something maybe a bit more concise than in the previous.

Fact: some (apparently random) stuff happening in life can be really stupid and maybe unfair.
Idea: fix that.
Tool: time machine.

We can go on forever talking about "playing God" or "messing with the karma". I said concise - and to be concise... karma has its way to get stuff balanced. So, if "the fact" + "the idea" are not fair enough when they're put to work... karma will hit back... at least that's what I think will happen. Now, let's chase the main rabbit = "the tool" ...

I could start rambling about the few tiny bits of physics that I know, but I would probably stop not too far, and no matter how quick that might be I would probably put out still enough bollocks to make this entry really stupid. So, instead of "how to build it", let's try approaching it from the other side. For the sake of argument: let's suppose that tha "the time machine" already exists (that's why is a time machine, right? should abstract away the time around it). Just that I didn't hear anybody reporting any "Terminator" coming from the future through a magic electricity bubble. So, if it exists, its mechanism is probably a bit more... discreet.

There are some options here - depends on how rich is your imagination :) ... But let's just take one: let's put an equal sign between "time travel" and "send a message". In this context "time travel to the future" is something trivial, and enough well developed: from a letter, to an e-mail, and so on. There's still the question about the past. How could you do it at least at a minimal level. 1 bit. An electrical impulse generated at time t that can be interpreted at t-1. If you solve this, as limited as it might be as expressiveness/efficiency, there would be enough to have the "time travel to the past" part = there's "the time machine".

How can you do it?... Don't know :) If I would, life might have been more fair - at least in my eyes. What I know is that I wasn't really in the mood for movies this week, but yesterday at some hour and x minutes, browsing the TV channels I stumbled on "Deja Vu" and a line said by Denzel referring some hour and the ... same x minutes. Now, browsing again some TV channels I stumble upon "Timecop", probably Van Damme's movie that left me the strongest impression when I was a kid. Coincidences can be funny :)... Anyway, what I also know, is that's enough food for thought until the next rabbit chase, whatever year edition might that be...

No comments:

Post a Comment