Saturday, July 23, 2016

Time Lapse (2014)



Since a while ago, I'm trying to stay away from time travel movies considering that I want when I'll have time to write a short story on this subject, and I'd like to keep myself out of much external influence. So, I had some doubts about "Time Lapse", but eventually I gave up. Unfortunate decision, I have to partially rethink again my own subject. What I want to say is that I've watched one of the few cases of approaching the theme that's developing a less used idea (maybe the least used idea): time travel without ... actual time travel. Why would you need time travel when you could send a message in time? You just have to take care that the recipient (maybe you) to get it ...

Another title that comes to my mind now is "Deja Vu" that partially uses the same concept. Unlike "Deja Vu", "Time Lapse" is a small budget indie, where 3 actors carry pretty much all of the movie that's shot mostly in an apartment. Also unlike "Deja Vu", "Time Lapse" holds on the idea - we don't have a Denzel Washington who must personally get into the time machine eventually to "save the day". Because we don't have a time machine. What we have in "Time Lapse" is a gigantic camera, found by three people in a complex apartment just across their own, which camera takes a shot each evening at 20:00 of their living room. But not the current one, the one 24 hours after - a sort of light "Early Edition" to give another reference :) . However, here the 3 guys get somehow to the conclusion that they don't have to change the future, but on the contrary, they must act so that it happens. I think this is one of the drawbacks that generates probably the biggest plot holes. Somehow though, the movie develops like a sort of puzzle, where probably in the end if you take all the pieces and look over them you'll get some explanation ( and also other plot holes :) ). I didn't have time for this + as usual, no spoilers ;)

The idea is nice, but moving a bit onto the cinema part, you can find many issues due to the low budget the production has. Probably the worse are related to the script, where you can notice easily that another pass for cleaning stupid lines would've helped .. but there are others too - production level related and even actors. Overall, not bad but could've been much better ...

Rating: 3 out of 5





No comments:

Post a Comment