Saturday, February 27, 2016

Oscar 2016 - Directing


I don't think I ever had such a bad sync between the work to do volume with the period of the Oscar Awards. So, with apologies, I'll just stick to some final lightning fast entries, based mostly on external material ( that's actually more likely to be interesting compared to my senseless babbling :) ). New York Times has a nice series on YouTube, called Anatomy of a Scene, that describes the way a scene in a movie was thought or executed directly from the director's perspective. For the first nominees of this year we have such a clip, which I think gives a pretty concise summary of how each of them works. For the last in the list I found another material that I hope it's at least a bit relevant for the movie directing. In any case, we talk about a category where I doubt there's any doubt on the winner: "The Revenant". However, I can't skip completely saying something about "Room", where the directing is the part that produces the maxed out impact, the movie being built in its first part to be so hard psychologically speaking that I think it competes in a weird way with a hard horror on the difficulty to watch criteria (although there's no other relation with that genre). But, let's see what the nominated ones have to say :) :

Adam McKay - "The Big Short"




George Miller - "Mad Max: Fury Road"




Alejandro G. Iñárritu - "The Revenant"




Lenny Abrahamson - "Room"




Tom McCarthy - "Spotlight"



No comments:

Post a Comment