Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)



I went with low expectations to the new "Mad Max". Because long long ago, when I've seen the other 3 I found them way too chaotic and boring (and that considering that I was at an age when movies with excess gunpowder were much more impressive for my eyes than they are now). The final thoughts now, after watching "Fury Road" are completely different ...

The trailer gives just a hint on the subject, and that's good, so I won't say more. Trust me, there is a story behind the explosions, dust, blood & gore. A simple one, but it's there, and it's decent enough to keep together what surrounds it. Actually even more than that, if I would get into the symbolism of some sequences. Anyway, I don't have much time to write, so I'll move to something that I normally leave more towards the end: the visuals. As many say, the movie looks indeed stunning, and I have to subjectively appreciate some particular changes between warm and cold camera filters. The 3D looks good (which I'm rarely noticing) and the effects are probably the best I've seen since the last "Planet of the Apes".

To give a bit more than a technical appreciation let me talk about the characters, where the leading actor didn't seem convincing for a leading actor. The truth is that this comes from the script, where Mad Max is rather a secondary character in the story. On the other hand I have to give credit to ... Immortal Joe aka "new addition in top 10 villains of all time" (if I would make such a top). Absolutely "hateable" :) That's pretty much all for today. Conclusion: If you like dystopias and you're not allergic to SciFi steam punk, then watch this.

Rating: 4 out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment