Sunday, February 22, 2015

Oscar 2015 - Best Picture


I don't like this year Oscars. I've said that before, right ? I barely have one movie in the nominees list that I really enjoyed. The only positive aspect to say so, is that a couple hours before the show the situation seems to be a bit different (at least that's what critics say), and we don't have anymore a clear winner ... Well, I'll stick to my initial opinion about who'll get it. But I already said too much considering the this year's competition level, so let's get to something more visual ...

"American Sniper" or the perfect example of cliche in a war movie. Starting with the love for country that brings us in the first line of battle (doesn't matter that's on a different continent) up to the best looking girl in the bar falling for an uniform (I'm exaggerating ... but the movie is not far). The worst movie made by Eastwood since "Space Cowboys" ... And I think I enjoyed that one more.




"Birdman" or how to test the patience of the audience for half of the movie so that the 2nd half to seem by contrast the greatest achievement in the director's career (why do you think we have "The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance" as subtitle?). I can't deny that the 2nd part of the movie, and especially the ending are not good (although severely depressing). That's why I can say that I see as a positive aspect the awaking of various guilds (directors, producers) who, through the recent awards given, brought some suspense in deciding this year Oscar winner. Still ...




"Boyhood" or how to test the patience of the audience for the entire movie. And when the movie is 3 hours long, my recommendation is to skip the cinema option. At least you deserve the right to have a pause button. Not that you couldn't skip some 5-10 minutes intervals ... don't worry ... nothing unexpected happens. Maybe that's where the appreciation wave emerged from. Finally a movie where we don't have any suspense on how it's ending. The only surprise would be to lose the Oscar.




"The Imitation Game" or "who's left without a biopic?". If the question isn't clear, count the "real-life based" nominees. Half of them are biopics. In any case, I think Alan Turing has a more interesting story, and also the movie has less cliches than the first entry in the list. Not much chances though for The Weinstein Company. They exhausted their "luck" for an indeterminate time after the "King's Speech" 4 years ago...




"The Grand Budapest Hotel" or the only movie that deserves a Best Picture Oscar this year. Unfortunately it won't get it. Again, I don't think this is the best movie done by Wes Anderson ("Moonrise Kingdom" rulz - here the budget made the difference), but compared to the rest is in a different league. Unlike all other nominees "The Grand Budapest Hotel" is a movie that will be remembered. Even if only for the pink hotel ...




"Selma" or the yearly politically correctness exercise made by the Academy. I have nothing against the movement for black voting rights lead in the '60s by Martin Luther King. But, come on ... The only other nomination "Selma" has this year is for Best Song. By comparison "Foxcatcher" has 5 .. and none for Best Picture. No comment ...




"The Theory of Everything" or "who's left without a biopic? what, nobody? not even somebody still living?". I don't know Stephen Hawking received this movie, but for me it seems a bit strange to do a biopic about somebody's life, when the somebody has still something to say. On the other hand, I assume the result is more truthful (otherwise you could expect protests from the "lead character"). Anyway ... despite the appreciation wave it got, for me "The Theory of Everything" seemed to be a sort of "A Beautiful Mind" more dry, more depressing, and more superficial. I won't spend time now drawing a parallel analysis between the two movies (because I'm talking about the movies, and not the persons), but I think the pluses and minuses are quite obvious ...




"Whiplash" or why the Academy was felt a sudden relief when they found out that "Into the Woods" is not the only musical released this year. Otherwise it would've been hard to motivate adding it among the rest for best picture. Because, if there's one available, we definitely need a musical as Best Picture nominee. Ah, it's not the typical light comedy like "Chicago" or "Moulin Rouge"? It's a drama .. well, even better. I don't know. I'm still amazed by the preference of the public in the States for this genre. And I also don't like jazz ...




That wraps it up for this year. So, let's see who gets it ...

No comments:

Post a Comment