Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Lucy (2014)



I know .. It's been a while since I wrote an entry. I'll catch up (hopefully). Unfortunately, pretty much the same amount of time passed since I've seen "Lucy" = I lost the fresh impression it made (I hope this won't happen too for the next one). And besides that, this movie probably deserves a much more detailed entry than what follows. But, let's see ...

I didn't hear any very positive feedback on this before watching it, but I still kept my expectancies at the level of a decent action without any attempts for being more than that. After all we're talking about Luc Besson, who lately focused more on producing stuff like "Transporter" or "Taken". However, here Besson is the director, and what we see is quite different from the previous. The subject is quite catchy. Scarlett Johansson plays a foreign student in Taiwan, who in an unfortunate turn of events ends up carrying inside her a considerable quantity of an experimental drug. In another unfortunate turn of events the package starts disintegrating, and the effects are visible in the trailer = the brain usage capacity progressively increases.

1. It's a SciFi. 2. It's a Luc Besson movie. So, don't expect much scientific reasoning in what you're gonna see. On the other hand, "philosophically" speaking, the movie is surprisingly dense. From the ratio between the brain usage capacity and the level of manifested emotions, which stays quite constant to the ultimate superpower (spoiler: that's about time), we're presented with a set of ideas that are sufficiently ... "intriguing" let's say to pass the barrier of "just another action/sci-fi". Of course, everything is done a la Besson, meaning slightly chaotic, but the important part is that it doesn't get boring. It's not at the level of "Leon" and neither of "The 5th Element". The beginning is excellent (I got stuck in my head the reference to the mouse trap, you'll get it when you'll see it) but after two thirds starts to be quite rushed up to the end. In any case, it's probably the most original approach for a superhero movie that I've seen by now = I really liked it.

Rating: 4 out of 5




No comments:

Post a Comment