Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Part 2 of Summer-Fall 2012 Movie Preview



In the beginning of September we have a SciFi that looks quite indie but seems nonetheless to have a decent budget behind. Because I'm writing in a hurry (as usual ...) I'll just stop at the idea that it reminds me about a classic by Carpenter: "They Live" from '88. For who did not see it yet, but who's tempted by both of them, better wait - the old one might create some disappointments about the one below ...






Since last time we had more Action-SciFi than horror in the true sense we can compensate this time with ... "House at the End of the Street". I'm intrigued by ... the title length ... And I can't get over the first topic on the IMDb boards that does a slight change: "Boobs at the End of the Street" (:P just quotin' .. not that I have something against it). Do I have to conclude that probably the trailer might be the scariest part of the movie ? ...






At the end of September we have scheduled what I think to be the most interesting title from this Fall. "Looper" seems to have everything it needs: a combination of SciFi with thriller with time travel on top which for me at least is the best possible, a director about whom I don't know anything but who wrote also the script (which usually is a good thing) and it doesn't seem to be exactly his first movie, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, what else to say .. the only thing that I find a bit disturbing in the trailer .. the makeup :|






For October we do not have yet many trailers released. So my options are pretty much limited to "Argo". Which looks like a decent title, adapted after a true story happened in '79, story that after a quick look-up on Wikipedia seems to be indeed worthy of a movie. But I won't give more spoilers than what's below ..






The first title for November, on which I stumbled upon the last days, is an animation from Disney. Disney as in Disney the main studio = no Pixar, thing that I'm not too sure if it sounds promising or the other way around (because I really don't remember what I've seen last time and when from them without the hopping lamb in the beginning). For the moment, the subject seems a bit too far fetched for me, even for an animation .. well, it's probably due to my job :) ...






The next Bond: "Skyfall" seems to be the most promising among the latest. And not due to the trailer that doesn't say anything, but because of the director - Sam Mendes. Even if I'm not a big fan (mostly due to the subjects he picks), he has done one of the top movies that I've ever seen in its genre: "Road to Perdition". It's true that this was long ago, but since from what he did after nothing was that close to a drama/thriller/noir I have hopes that "Skyfall" will catch at least a bit from what was there ...






We had animation from Pixar last time and one from the owner = Disney before, so I couldn't skip looking something from DreamWorks to compensate. And I found .. "Rise of the Guardians" - at the end of November, probably to be more close to the holidays considering what we can see below. About how it looks ... well, I hope (from all my heart) that it won't take itself too seriously. Otherwise I declare myself totally and unchangeable convinced that the Americans have a genetic problem that manifests through a chronic lack/need of super-heroes in everyday life. Otherwise I cannot explain myself how can you get up to transforming even the Easter bunny in something like this ...






Back later this week with a movie .. been some time since talking about something specific ;) ...

No comments:

Post a Comment