Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Scream 4 (2011)




I told myself to write a bit earlier this week because I don't see any reason for delaying the entry. No matter what other movie I'm gonna see the topic will be the same :) I was waiting for this one since .. I don't remember when ... and when it was released I managed to "synchronize" so "well" that I missed it in the two towns I were at that time. Well, finally I solved "the problem", and fortunately the result was as better as expected.

First, I won't recommend seeing "Screen 4" unless you didn't see the first three in the series. This doesn't necessarily mean that you should remember much from them ( I, for instance, am not able to describe the action from neither of them ), but at least you should be a bit familiar with the characters and the whole feeling of the '90s teen movie/slasher horror combination. Otherwise there doesn't make much sense to lose any time with "Scream 4". It would prove to be only a light horror, different from the current trend = "Saw", "The Descent" , due to the low amount of spilled blood .. it doesn't create a scary atmosphere as "Paranormal Activity", "Insidious", etc .. and it has enough references to the previous "episodes" whose meaning you won't get unless you don't have the slightest idea about who the characters are. Talking about that, we have the main cast back "in action" with Neve Campbell as Sidney, returned in the home town after quite a few years from the initial events, having the purpose to promote an autobiographical book. Well, from here starts the classic slasher horror theme = a new killer begins a .. new killing spree having Sidney again as apparent final target name on the list. The reason ... wait until the end of the movie :)

The way I'll rate/evaluate this movie today is probably the most subjective since I've started this blog. For the beginning, leaving apart that I really really like Neve Campbell, I could say without explaining much else ( it becomes obvious quite fast due to other presences you have on screen :) ) that the movie is pretty much a "guys movie". However, what's more important in the end is the whole feeling that kept itself as I remember it since the first in the series and also from others released in the same time period (like "I Know what You did Last Summer"). It's a horror that doesn't prevent you to get a nice sleep after, it's not gross due to the tons of red paint spent for gore, has a decent amount of self irony and also serious chances to remind you about the '90s. And it's normal considering we have the same team = Wes Craven directing, Kevin Williamson script, and the three actors on the poster who managed to "survive". The team that was present throughout the whole "Scream" series, and although this is shorter than other slasher classics = "Friday the 13th", "Nightmare on Elm Street" or even "Halloween", especially because of this consistency, in my opinion, as average value per movie is on top (yes, I know .. "Scream" is a light slasher not a hardcore one as the rest, but considering that some "episoded" from the ones named above are a complete mess, I indulged myself the comparison).

The movie has its problems = cliche parts, a bit unrealistic twists, etc - but today I'm in the mood to forgive everything :). That's because after all, it represents something that you're not any more able to find very often - commercial movie making that doesn't look obsolete but manages to keep itself to the level of the '80s - '90s when there were much more cases on this niche were the script was smart enough to keep you interested without relying on effects as much as today's productions do for pumping up a 3 lines story. Besides that, even if it was released this spring, I think it's pretty much a "summer movie" as it was "Super 8" from last week or "Disturbia" to give a second example, although the genre differs ( a bit of horror is in each of them anyway ). So, if you've seen the first 3 "Screams", you probably "like scary movies" :), and you definitely should try this one too.

Rating: 5 out of 5





No comments:

Post a Comment