Saturday, December 4, 2010

Part 2 Winter-Spring 2010-2011 Movie Preview

So.. as I said last week, I continue today with what will get released in the spring (at least according to what is announced at this moment). I will start where I left, with the month of March ...

I'll begin with the movie that, at least so far, is the first one on my "to watch" list for 2011. Obviously I'm probably subjective given that it's based on a P.K. Dick writing (who is my favourite SciFi author). I'll just hope it won't turn out badly, because until now, and this time I am as objective as I can be, I think the worst films adapted after P.K. Dick were "The Impostor" and "Next". But even these weren't bad, just average. Anyway ... too much talk. I'll leave the trailer to say more ...





The second title for March - "Sucker Punch" - is a mixture of sf / fantasy / action. I do not really know what to say. The plot seems to go around a girl stuck in an asylum by her evil stepfather, a place where she creates her own imaginary world. The idea sounds something less superficial than what the trailer shows (though the effects are nice ...). The director is Zack Snyder - "Dawn of the Dead" remake, "Watchmen" and "300" - which frankly I thought at that time it was pretty overrated, but the first two I think I would gladly rewatch sometimes. Let's hope that the next one will get into the same category ...





For the next title I don't have any high expectations, one reason being the director who has some weak horrors in his CV ("Darkness Falls" - the demonic Tooth Fairy, rings a bell?). In addition to that, the movie itself "Battle Los Angeles" has a quite overused topic = alien invasion and appears to be a bit more serious "Independence Day" = no Will Smith to save the planet. However, considering that the genre it's my favorite = SF, I said myself to give it a chance ...





The first title I'll mention for April, is probably on the 2nd place of the top 2 :) on my list of expected movies for 2011 = something I really want to see ... "Scream 4". One fact is that it stars my favorite actress - Neve Campbell - returning as Sidney (and for me this is already more than enough :-p) but ... I should probably say something of more general interest about the movie. Well, besides Neve, actually much of the team from the first three "Scream" returns = quite a lot of the rest of the cast, Wes Craven as director and Kevin Williamson as screenwriter (from who I could mention - "I Know What You Did Last Summer", "The Faculty" and even "Cursed", which I liked despite the rating on IMDb). Conclusion: If you miss the combination of teen movie / light slasher horror that made history in the '90s, or at least you are nostalgic about that times, it's probably enough reason to give it a try ...





"Source Code" is my next title on the list of April. I'll try to forget that I'm working in IT and consequently to restrain myself from ideas that would place the film in the comedy genre - that obviously not being listed on IMDb. So if I manage that, I could say that the idea seems interesting - a guy who relives the last eight minutes of somebody else's life, in a continuous loop, that looks like it's scheduled to end when he discovers the cause for which the train he's in will blow up (... definitely advanced software engineering around there ... sorry I couldn't resist :D).





I'll continue with a real comedy, as the final title for April - "Your Highness". It may seem a bit silly, but I had no other option to end the month. In addition, we can see something a bit different than what you can usually find in this area. Yes, there were still other titles that have tried to combine comedy and fantasy and didn't come out too well. Maybe it will be different this time ...





I'll finish with a single title entry for May, because I don't have too many other options. I did skip the animation genre so far, so I said just not to jump over it completely, although the teaser doesn't say much about what we will see in "Kung Fu Panda 2". I sincerely doubt it will be on par with the first, but we'll see... I personally always had nice surprises from DreamWorks.





Ok, that's about it with the movie preview for the next six months, pretty limited in the last part due to the number of trailers released so far ... Going back to normal reviews next week = gotta find time to see a movie :) ...

No comments:

Post a Comment